Purpose: (Reason for existence of position)
The primary responsibility of the Management Accountant is the effective management of the costing function and ensuring accurate costing of total inventory, including raw materials, packaging materials, work-in-progress and finished goods. Also responsible for the management and explanation of production yields, variances in throughput as well as to provide costing related support to all the different areas of responsibilities within the company. The driving of cost reduction projects, efficiencies and savings initiatives and the implementation of effective management reporting also forms part of the core responsibilities.
This position should ideally be able to provide accurate, relevant information on time to enable management to make timeous, strategic decisions.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Implement and ensure adherence to proper cost accounting principles, procedures and internal controls & maintain and improve costing processes associated with manufacturing and inventory.
2. Manage the set-up and maintenance of the cost of production components, WIP and finished goods (including overhead recoveries), maintenance spares, selling prices, discounts as well as ensuring the validity and accuracy of the inventory master and production BOM’s.
3. Prepare and present various relevant financial reports related to sales, manufacturing costs and inventory incl. explanations of waste, yields, efficiencies and variances which enables management to make timeous decisions.
4. Ensure stock is captured accurately and on time, waste is measured properly and all variances can be explained in all factories.
5. System management of total inventory, which includes raw materials, WIP, finished goods, obsolete/rejected and returnable stock as well as management of the monthly physical stock take.
6. Perform month end close activities related to inventory and cost accounting.
7. Provide support in the form of accurate and timeous costings and analysis to all relevant areas of business for the company.
8. Lead the annual budgeting process in delivering a proper budget on time as well as providing accurate forecasting on a regular basis. Responsible for the calculation of sales and cost of sales (throughput) w.r.t. forecasting and annual budgeting.
9. Perform any other ad-hoc finance related tasks assigned from time to time.
Person Profile: Knowledge, Skills & Attitude (What the incumbent needs to know)
We seek to employ a candidate who meets the following minimum criteria:
1. An appropriate B.Com (Hons) Degree or Equivalent.
2. Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in cost accounting, with at least five (5) years in a manufacturing environment.
3. Excellent communication skills – verbal, written, and presentation skills.
4. Good planning, time management, problem solving and decision-making skills.
5. Attention to detail and analytical skills.
6. Ability to work and perform under pressure.